In the wake of the unprecedented outbreak of the COVID-19 Pandemic over the world, and the Nationwide Lockdown, in collective effort to restrain the spread of the virus in India i.e. from 23rd March to 31st May, 2020, North East India is no exception to the suffering caused by the same. The nationwide lockdown has restricted the movement of the citizens, economic activities, transport and other essential activities which has a deep impact on the lives of the poor.
In times such as this, every help counts. NEICORD on humanitarian ground responded to the needs of the poorest of the poor who are being affected due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.
NEICORD Response in Cachar District, Assam
- 65 poor families in 6 villages of Lakhipur Block under Cachar District were provided with essential food item of 25 kg rice, 3 kg dal, 1 kg salt and 1 litre oil
The relief was distributed with the support of the Village Authority, local volunteers along with the project staff of NEICORD based in Cachar.
NEICORD Response in Kamrup Metro District, Assam
- families in 3 villages under Demoria Block of Kamrup Metro District, were provided with:
- Food item of 25 kg rice, 4 kg dal, 1 kg salt and 1 litre oil
- Soap, hand sanitizer and face mask
- 283 families have benefitted from the awareness programme conducted through miking on COVID-19, health and hygiene, food and nutrition, and gender based violence
- 500 pamphlets printed and distributed to 283 families in the community containing safety measures and prevention of COVID-19
The relief operation was implemented with the support of the Village Authority, local volunteers along with the project staff of NEICORD based in the area.